Site news

Strings Programme comes to Pacific Way!

Picture of S. Zryd
Strings Programme comes to Pacific Way!
by S. Zryd - Tuesday, 12 October 2010, 3:16 PM

A small group of Grade 4 students will be starting violin and cello lessons next week at Pacific Way. This programme has been paid for by the school district. If your child is in grade 4 and wants to participate please ensure he/she is signed up by Friday. Lessons start next Monday.

Rent your instrument and pick up your method book at Long McQuade.

DISTRICT STRINGS PROGRAM 2010/2011 – Community String Ensemble

Welcome back to another school year! I hope this letter finds you well-settled into your new classes and perhaps a new school for some of you.

I am delighted to invite students who have previously been a part of the District Strings Program to be a member of our after school SD73 Community String Ensemble. This new ensemble will be perform from orchestral scores and be an exciting way to keep playing your instruments in a group setting. We will meet on Wednesdays from 3:15-4:45 starting on October 13, 2010 at Beattie School of the Arts – McGill Campus (492 McGill Road) in the music portable just next to the school building. Chairs, stands and sheet music will be provided. You are asked to provide your own instrument (violin or cello).

We are planning performances in January, April and June. Young string players in the community who have not been part of the District Strings Program in Grade 4 but have taken private lessons are also welcome to join us - so please, help spread the word!

If you are interested in being part of this exciting opportunity please be present at our orientation session and first rehearsal on October 13 or contact Kate Zahir as soon as possible. Please have your instrument with you on this day. You are also kindly asked to bring along your methods book from last year (Essential Elements for Strings 2000) so we can do some technique review.

Should you have any questions please contact me at Beattie School of the Arts- McGill campus at (250) 374-0608 or e-mail me at szahir@sd73.bc.ca.